VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My dog is currently on Zyrtec. Is it ok to give baby aspirin

Customer Question

My dog is currently on Zyrtec. Is it ok to give baby aspirin as well??
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 11 months ago.

Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question. Are you looking to give him baby aspirin for his allergies, or some other issue? (Also, he's getting Zyrtec, not Zyrtec D right?)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Zyrtec for allergies. But was looking to give some baby aspirin to help with arthritis pain.

Thank you for the information. Aspirin for allergies seemed a bit odd! :)

Either way, while some vets will suggest aspirin in a pinch when there's no other alternative, it is not the best pain medication to give to dogs. Animals in general do not tolerate human medications as easily as we do, and while aspirin is one that they mildly tolerate, they don't break it down and metabolize it very well. What this means is that they can't take it multiple times in a row without running a risk of stomach ulceration and kidney damage in the long run. 5 days tends to be the limit for aspirin, and the dose that is acceptable for dogs really isn't very effective at managing their pain.

It also prevents us from being able to give stronger medications designed for canines (combining them again poses the risk of ulceration and kidney damage). There has to be a period of a week or two between doses of different pain medications, and that leaves a wide open gap where they have no pain control while we wait to switch medications.

While there are doggie aspirins you can get at the pet store (which are better than human formulas), the absolute best way to help arthritis is by having the vet give you a canine medication at the clinic. There are several on the market, some of them are generic and can be quite cheap, and it is a better long-term option for dogs who are experiencing pain from a chronic issue like arthritis.

If your vet has seen your pet recently, you may be able to call them and have them write you a script to just pick up without having to bring your pup in. Many vets have Saturday morning hours, so they may still even be open now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok thanks. She is currently getting adequan injections but just struggling a little between injections and we are traveling for holidays so was trying to help ease her pain but I see its best to stay away from the aspirin.

Some dogs really do struggle with Adequan, poor girl. Since it sounds like she is getting frequent treatments at the clinic, I bet your vet will be more than willing to give her something simple (and cheap) to help her pain. Good luck and you are most welcome!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can rimadyl be given with Zyrtec? Is there any drug interaction?

There are not any expected drug interactions between Zyrtec and Rimadyl, they are safe to give together.

Hi Kelly,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Morgan. How is everything going?
VetTechErin