Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 9 year old standard poodle got up from napping and

Customer Question

Customer: My 9 year old standard poodle got up from napping and started to come down the stairs and stopped and howled with pain raising her left paw. Then she dropped down. I massaged it for about 15 minutes and then carried her down the rest of the stairs. She then moved around like nothing happened. After nothing appeared to be wrong I took her for a slow 1/2 mile walk. Still no signs of any issue. But again when she got up from laying down, she whimpered again.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I palpitated her entire body checking to see if I could locate the exact pain location, but she didn't seem to be bothered by any pushing on her stomach or chest.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Can you tell me, please, if it were her left front or left rear paw that was raised, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?