Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

My shitzu male dog has started to drink lots of water but

Customer Question

Customer: my shitzu male dog has started to drink lots of water but will not eat. First, one day only he had diarrhea and vomited. the last five days he will not eat. he is not over weight and is 11years of age
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: This is the only issue
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

These symptoms are typical for the beginnings of Diabetes Mellitus. This causes a higher than normal blood sugar that cannot get into the organs that requires this. The fact that your sweet guy is drinking a lot of water, vomiting and diarrhea and will not eat is telling us that this may be due to this serious condition. It is very important that you take your guy to your vet for blood testing so this can be confirmed or ruled out. There are other conditions that are not as common that can cause these symptoms but until the testing can be done, your vet does not know how best to treat this condition.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****