PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

I was told that I could give my dog fish oil to help with

Customer Question

I was told that I could give my dog fish oil to help with scratching ..I'm in Walmart & need an answer
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Barry.

The recommended dosage in fish oil for smaller dogs is 100-200mg/day of EPA. You should be able to find this on the packaging. Most owners buy capsules, puncture them and squirt the contents over the pet's food. You can also buy liquid fish oil in pump form to place onto food before feeding.

If my answer has helped you, please take the time to leave positive feedback for me. If questions remain, please reply. If you aren't sure what to buy, send me a picture of the ingredient and content label and I'll help you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just give him the capsule..the thing is I got the wrong kind I got 1200mg 360 omega-3

You'll want to check the dosage on the back of the bottle. His dosage is 100-200mg/day. The 1200mg dosage as seen on the front of the bottle is likely more than one caplet of oil. If not, you can certainly give him more as there's little risk of toxicity, but you may see some soft stool.

If you aren't sure, send along a picture of the ingredient label and recommended dosing and I'll help you out further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I got your picture. I need the info that is on the bottle to the left of this photo. It should be in a big box.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

also he is 3 not less than one sorry bout that

Perfect! His dosage is 1-2 capsules per day. I'd start low and work up to the higher dosage to ensure he doesn't have diarrhea.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you saying on pill a day?

That's correct. The dosage is 360mg/2 capsules which is 180mg/capsule. That means he's right in between dosages 1-2 per day will be the correct dosage for him. I'd start with 1 pill per day to be sure that he doesn't start having diarrhea, which is common in the smaller dogs when oils are given to them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah it make his bowels soft..so I'm going to cut bck a lil

Good plan. If the single capsule gives him soft stool, you can always puncture just one capsule and give half the amount one day, the other half the next and work up from there. Some dogs take well to use the usage of oils and some need some transitioning. This is normal.

Hi Barry, checking in to see how BJ is tolerating the fish oil capsules. Has the soft stool resided?