Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My German short haired pointer ate small glass from a broken

Customer Question

My German short haired pointer ate small glass from a broken sauce jar. We took him to Med vet, they gave him fluids and special dog food, he seems ok it has been 2 days, how lon should we be concerned.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. That is good that it is now 2 days out from that ingestion with Ruger. When is she going to be completely out of the time of concern? That is the big unknown. As long as she's eating well, drinking well, acting comfortable, being social, not having vomiting, not having abdominal discomfort and in general being an energetic short hair - then things are going good. Could small pieces of glass that were eaten just pass benignly through the intestinal tract? That is the hope. If any of the previous things change, then getting her back in for an evaluation is needed. There is no way to know if they are all out as they won't show on an x-ray.