Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8month old golden retriever was spayed on Tuesday and as

Customer Question

My 8month old golden retriever was spayed on Tuesday and as of last night hasn't been able to keep anything down. Could this be a reaction to the antibiotics?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

We can see some stomach sensitivity with our antibiotics. Therefore, this could be our culprit for Acorn's vomiting. That said, we do need to tread with care since these signs could also be related to her having a brewing gastroenteritis that is taking advantage of her distracted immune system.

In this case, how to approach her situation depends on whether she can keep anything down. If she is so nauseous that she cannot even keep water down, then we'd need to consider an urgent visit to her vet for injectable anti-vomiting treatment. Otherwise, if you can rest her stomach (withholding food and only given sips or ice cubes every hour) and she settles, you can try treating with an antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you use, we'd give this 20 minutes before food to allow absorption and of course double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

If she responds to that, we can give her a 24 hour break from her antibiotic to let her settle and consider a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals to keep the stomach settled.

Overall, it is quite possible this is a sensitivity to her antibiotics. Though in her situation, we do have to be wary of opportunistic infections too. Therefore, we can take the above approach with her to see if we can get her stomach settled. But if we cannot or she is just too nauseous for even water, then we'd want a check urgently so that her mouth can be bypassed by injectable treatment to get her back to normal.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Acorn. How is everything going?
nekovet