Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 13 year old Rat Terrier with gh Lipids.
, He

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I have a 13 year old Rat Terrier with High Lipids.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He has been more thirsty lately and sleeping more. Seems to have more of a appetite. I"m not sure what is going on with his back legs but appears to be off balanced or has a slight twitch from time to time
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this. High lipids are typically pretty easy to treat with high dose omega 3. Your vet should have some fish oil that your dog can take that will help with this. If you will let me know his weight I can tell you the dose that you need. This also helps with many other organs and arthritis. Tell me your dog's weight and I will calculate a dose for him. Sincerely, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

So if your dog is between 12-15 pounds then a good dose would be 200-250 of the EPA portion. You are not likely to find this in human fish oil at correct dose. Don't look for the total mg of fish oil. Most are 1000 mg. You must look on back of bottle to get the amount that is present in mg for EPA. A good fish oil will include that on the bottle. This will bring the lipids down after about a month. I hope this helps but let me know if you have additional questions as I check my computer every night. Sincerely, DRB

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sparky is 21.2 LBS he is not overweight for his size. He is a tall Rat terrier
Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

HI this is DRB......so Sparkys' dose would be a minimum of 400 mg of the EPA portion. This should help get his lipids down nicely in about a month. I would purchase Free form snip tips the medium and large dog size and give 1 per day. This will give Sparky 515 mg of the EPA portion per day. Just make sure to take him off it 1 week before any surgery because it will thin his blood. Hope this helps,DRB

You can order that product online.

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.

Please rate my answer as that is the only way I am compnsated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr B