Dr Linda
Dr Linda, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a practicing veterinarian with over 20 years experience in a mixed animal practice.
75966804

My dog is 2 and was neutered on Monday. He was find on

Customer Question

Customer: This is Lynda. My dog is 2 and was neutered on Monday. He was find on Monday and Tuesday night was shaking/shivering and didn't want to eat. He was better this morning but now he started shaking again and won't eat again. I just took him for a walk and when we got home I noticed a few spots of blood on his leg like it dripped from him urinating. My vet is closed until tomorrow.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: we are fostering him so he is new to the home and he just isn't acting himself when the shaking starts. the blood spots worried me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Linda replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Linda. I hope I can help with your question today.

I am sorry your dog is not feeling well. There may be some issues from the surgery resulting in pain & some discharge from or around the incision site.

Hopefully, when he urinated he produced a normal stream of urine. By that I mean he did not strain to urinate & he urinated a fairly good stream & not dribbles.

If he is painful, we can safely give a little aspirin, but only if your veterinarian did not send home any other pain medications. It is very important that you follow up with your veterinarian tomorrow. I do not like to give aspirin following a surgery for any more than a day or so.

You can give him 1/2 of a regular strength aspirin ( not Tylenol or ibuprofen) per every 25 pounds now. This can be repeated in 12 hours, but please talk to your veterinarian who did the surgery first.

As for not eating, offer him something special a few hours after the aspirin. Hopefully, if he is more comfortable, he will be more willing to eat.

I hope this makes sense & you find the information helpful. Please let me know if you have an additional questions or concerns.

Thank you.