Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have an eight and half year old male miniature schnauzer

Customer Question

Customer: I have an eight and half year old male miniature schnauzer who suddenly cannot see, is not active, gained weight over the last couple of months and is constantly hungry. I took him to the vet last week for what I thought was an eye infect and was prescribed neo poly ointment. The vet did a full panel of blood work and ruled out, cushings and diabetes and had his liver levels checked and said they were normal. After his first dose neo poly, he started bumping into things in my home and standing in the middle of hte room with a vacant look on his face.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Is it possible that his loss of vision was a side effect of the neo poly eye ointment for his infection?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  petdrz. replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you.

Did you vet do any testing of the eye? Stain the cornea? Measure the pressure in the eye? Dilate the pupil and evaluate the retina?

Are the eyes red or draining?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.