Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog is scooting all over the place...about 15 times in

Customer Question

my dog is scooting all over the place...about 15 times in last hour...but there is no foul smell...i tried to express his anal glands but they didnt seem to need it and i smelled my finger and no foul smell...my dogs does have fleas...i give him netmsycin
3 days a weeknto kill them, can fleas be causing the scooting?
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
dog not dogs
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

There are a few causes for scooting. You have checked the anal glands but if they are clogged, you might not be able to express them and he might need the vet or a groomer to try expressing them. The second would be parasites such as tapeworm. Tapeworms can be contracted by ingesting a flea.

Tapeworms release segments that exit the anus and spread tapeworm eggs into the environment. They can cause severe itching in some dogs. They can usually be seen in the stool and are small about 1/2 inch moving things. If the stool has dried, they look like rice in the stool or stuck in the hair around the anus. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Now you don't always see segments in the stoo, but sometime s you do. It is best to get a stool sample tested.

The last is allergic condition -- flea allergy being the most common allergy leading to itching around the base of the tail and rectal region. If it is an allergy, then benadryl may help a bit. The dosage is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
if a groomer can do it i can. no moving segments in stool. i alresdy give him benedryl everyday. im not giving you credit cause nothing you said has helped
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
i thought i saw worms in poo and brought in stool sample and it tested negative
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
no white rice in anus either...brown flakes all over
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
why am i unable to express them but vet and groomer can? i come from a family of doctors. i am able to do it. i want to speak to a different vet

Most owners express the glands from the outside. Vets and many groomers express them by inserting a digit inside the rectum. A vet could also determine if the gland opening was blocked. It would have been nice to know that you had already tested for worms. So if all that is fine, then an allergy would be the likely cause which might be to fleas or to a food item. It might be something you've always fed where the ingredients changed, or a new treat or even a cleaning supply that got on the dogs rear when he sat down. You could try the benadryl and see if that helps.

Not sure what coming from a family of doctors has to do with expressing a dog's anal glands though. I meant to say be sure you are giving an adequate dosage of benadryl to combat the allergic reaction.

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.
Hi Hanz,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky. How is everything going?