Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Dog had diarrhea I and half still very playful and no loss

Customer Question

Dog had diarrhea I for day and half still very playful and no loss in appetite but licks his bum a lot started giving him rice water and boiled chicken and rice seems to have kept it in for 2 hours now is it progress?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

Can you tell me if there has been any vomiting?

Has there been any change in food?

Is the dog still interested in eating?

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello , it seems you may have gone offline. The licking of the anal area is due to the diarrhea. When the stool is soft it does not break the anal sacs and they can become irritated.

If there has been no change in food, no vomiting, and the dog is otherwise acting normal you can try giving some pure canned pumpkin to the diet. This will help firm up the stool. Two even tablespoons with the meal should help.

If diarrhea continues or if other symptoms arise then it is best to have an hands on exam and make sure there is not something serious going on.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Whiskey. How is everything going?
Sally G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help I got in touch with a vet close to my town and they sent me antibiotics for 2 weeks and cream he just finished his pills a few days ago and is 100 % better he was 75% better almost the day after his first dose. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I am so glad to hear he is doing better! It is always worrisome to us when our pets are feeling bad. Here's to a a happy healthy New Year in store for Whiskey