Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

JoAnne, I think my dog has some type of worm in between s

Customer Question

Hi JoAnne, I think my dog has some type of worm in between his toes, It looks infected and it has a hole in the middle, but I can't squeeze it out, and I don't have any Vaseline to put over the hole, I tried using hydrocortisone but it seam to bother him so I wiped it off.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I apologize for the delay.I just signed in for the day and see you still need assistance. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

It is possible that what you are seeing is a Cuterebra which is a bot fly larva. This is not something that should try to be removed at home because if the larva is crushed or torn it could cause a toxic reaction. The following link covers this in more detail LINK

Other common problems between the toes are cysts and other foreign objects such as fox tails ( grass seed). Tumors can also form between the toes.

If you think this could be a bot fly larva then I would suggest having your vet take a look so this can be properly removed. The vet will also be able to tell you if this is due to another foreign object, cyst or tumor and access whether antibiotics may be needed.Until you can get him in you can soak the paw in warm Epsom salt water and then apply neosporine. I would avoid any additional peroxide. While good for initial cleaning it can actually cause additional damage to the skin and impede healing.

I hope this helps give you some direction and again I apologize for the delay.

Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to help. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you this evening.

Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gunner. How is everything going?
Candy
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Joanne. I just wanted to check in and see how Gunner was doing.