Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My three month old puppy just swallowed a piece of rawhide

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my three month old puppy just swallowed a piece of rawhide and not he is coughing and trying to vomit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: sorry, I meant he is now coughing and trying to vomit, but nothing has come out
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: he doesn't seem to be chocking, but is coughing an uncomfortable
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Do you have an idea of the rawhide's size?

Has he had any vomiting since you posted your question?

Can he keep food or water down? Any appetite?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, pain, or tensing?

Any straining to pass stool?