Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My mom has a chihuahua about 2.5 years. has never really had

Customer Question

Hello! my mom has a chihuahua about 2.5 years. has never really had an appetite for anything. she doesn't chew on bones, has no interest in "people food" including chicken, beef, steak, fish.. she eats maybe a 1/4 cup of royal canin adult chihuahua food per day.. she weighs 3.2 lbs.. and is skin and bones.
my vet says she is fine, her blood work is normal.. but this does not look normal... looking for a second opnion
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 months ago.

Hi Jacustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Chihuahuas tend to be pretty tiny dogs. They do frequently look like they are skin and bones because they are extremely tiny dogs. A 2.5 pound chihuahua would be a teacup variety. These teacup dogs frequently do have health issues which is sometimes why they are so tiny. But if bloodwork is normal and the vet says she is healthy then she likely is. And adult chihuahua only needs about 35-40 calories per pound each day. The food she is on does state that she should have about 3/8 - 1/2 cup of food per day, so she seems to be eating a little less than is normal for an active adult. In addition, if she isn't walked regularly then she may not need as much and it does state that the amount to feed can vary up to 20%. She isn't that far off. If she gets any treats, then that would reduce the amount of dog food as well.

You might try taking her on regular walks to see if that improves her appetite. Sometimes adding a small amount of yogurt to the food helps them eat a little better. Chicken is a bland food and most dogs will eat that, but it is not a balanced meal.

Here is a chart to determine if a dog is underweight or overweight or just right.

http://www.barkingbulletin.com/is_your_dog_overweight/

Vets see a lot of different dogs of various breeds and are really good at letting you know if your dog is underweight or overweight. I'm pretty sure he would have said something if she was underweight. Chihuahua can tend to be overweight, so being the ideal weight or a couple of ounces below the ideal weight wouldn't be so bad for a chihuahua.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.