Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My puppy is 4 months old and he is laying round on the coach

Customer Question

My puppy is 4 months old and he is laying round on the coach and hast moved much at all since yesterday he didn't eat or drink anything since yesterday and seems a bit odd did take a poop and pee today but that's about it. There is a small amount of orange toothpaste looking stuff in his stool is this cause of concern?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 11 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

What vaccinations has your boy had?

How many hours since he ate anything?

Has he vomiting at all?

Has he been dewormed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He has had all of his vaccine up to date he ate yesterday around 12 or 1pm he has gone to the bathroom since then no vomiting at all he has been deworned at the vet

Thanks for the additional information.

Since he has had multiple puppy shots, then parvovirus shouldn't be an issue which is good news. However, parasites and protozoan infections can lead to nausea. If a dog has nausea they might not want to eat or drink. Dogs who have had a meal with high fat content can also develop nausea related to the onset of pancreatitis and will often stop eating and drinking as well to help relieve the discomfort. Constipation can often cause a loss of appetite but usually a dog will continue to drink and you indicate that he defecated this morning. Being a puppy he may have ingested something that he shouldn't have as well and thus is having some issues because of the ingestion.

If he consumed a non food item, he might experience discomfort leading to the symptoms you are seeing and may intiially be able to defecate what ever was remaining in his bowels but then wouldn't be. In a pup this age, I'd go ahead and have him seen. Pups this age are growing fast and need their meals. You might want to take a stool sample into the vet if possible as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He did eat and drink today and have two bowel movements but he still acting very weak and lazy.

That is good news. Stick to a bland diet like boiled chicken and rice. You might try some pepcid in case his stomach is still upset.

Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx

Monitor him closely and be sure he is defecating relatively normal but have him seen if he doesn't continue to improve. If you would, I'd appreciate it if you let me know how he is doing in a couple of days.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay I plan taking him to the vet in the morning because he acting weird still, I forgot to mention that he is my brothers dog and sitting for him for few weeks until he comes back from out of town do you think that could have something to do with it.

He could miss your brother but at 4 months of age, most pups are eating everything they can get. I do think you are doing the right thing to have him checked out.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My wife stated she noticed heavy breathing from him while he was laying down. He not moving much at all and I had to force up to eat and drinking and use the bathroom. He also has been whimpering when I move him or try and pick him up. right now he is just laying and coach and he has been since yesterday. He hasn't show much energy at all.

Definitely have him seen. He is not acting normal at all. The breathing might be normal, but him not wanting to eat or move around is not.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay what do you think it could possibly be since he still eating and using the bathroom. He ate a few pieces of bread and half a full bowl of dog food on his own I gave him a few tablespoons of mineral oil with his food to help him pass anything that he may have ingeste. He also drank at least two bowls of water. He also had 3 bowel movements today.

Don't give him any more oil. If he was constipated we might suggest a teaspoon but not that much. It could be that he has parasites or an infection that is causing the nausea but given as he isn't your dog, you can't be sure if he has been dewormed or been tested for giardia or coccidia. The vet will do a fecal test tomorrow to check for that. It might just be something he ate at your house that he isn't used to or given the age, something he ingested that you might not even be aware of. But since he is eating and drinking and not vomiting, that is a good sign.