Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dear Dr. Devlin, my name is ***** *****. Our Dog has been

Customer Question

Customer: Dear Dr. Devlin, my name is ***** *****. Our Dog has been recently diagnosed with Cirrhosis. I get from a previous answer from you to another question that it is important to have a liver tissue biopsy to identify the causes. Our vet did not recommend it. I would appreciate your advice
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The vet conducted an echography exam and diagnosed cirrhosis and hepatic fibrosis
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I believe that your vet didn't recommend an ultrasound-guided needle biopsy but biopsy is still important. Suspicion of cirrhotic/fibrosing liver disease should prompt the consideration of wedge biopsy of the liver rather than ultrasound-guided core biopsy, because a firm, severely fibrotic liver may be difficult to penetrate safely with core biopsy instruments, especially if ascites is present. Additionally, needle core biopsies are often inaccurate in cirrhotic livers.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.