Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Thank you the time to read this post. My 2 and a half year

Customer Question

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
My 2 and a half year old pug got neutered just over two years ago
And after the procedure the whole scrotum area & prepuce had swollen and bruised really bad it was awful,there was also a discharge from the area.The vet that carried out the operation said that this was normal after carrying out this type of procedure,I decided to go get a second opinion which I'm delighted that I did,the vet that I attended treated him really well-they put him on a course of antibiotics-pain killers and it all cleared up in about 3months.
Fast forward to now.about 5 weeks ago I was washing my pug & noticed a small hard lump about a centre meter wide sitting behind his scrotum,the feeling of this lump was exactly the same feeling I got from this area when he got neutered.
To be honest I didn't get to alarmed at this point,I decided to bring him to a holistic vet and give it ago they put him on a remed,which after 1 week made no difference, it had actually increase in size I decided to bring him back to my current vet who took care of him at the time of his neutering & have been for the last couple of years, they run a good practice there.
So they carried out an ultrasound in the area they got the results within a 2days which came back clear of any Type of cancers/bacteria infection.
My vet said it was a type of cyst and that they where going to operate and remove it.The operation was due this week (Wednesday 9th Dec 2015)
It was cancelled because the swelling had increased and travelled they said they would not operate while its swollen they have put him on as follows Claviseptin 250mg 1x a day
Clindacyl 75mg 2x a day and finally Onsior Dog 75mg 1x a day.
He is due back in for a check up Wednesday 16th December 2015
I rang my vet this morning with an update and explained it has gotten worse I am waiting to hear back.
At this point I'm so worried of his situation the whole scrotum area and behind it is extremely hard it's traveled to the base of his penis his prepuce is stretched and his penis gland is out and looks swollen.
He's breaking my heart to look at him I'm helpless at this point ,It's hard to watch him he is very uncomfortable.
I would be very greatfull for your thoughts on this.
Thank you
Regards,
Kieran
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I understand your concern. I'm not aware of any cysts that would cause such swelling. My primary concern when a lump in that area is found and then subsequent swelling arises is a genital mast cell tumor that has degranulated and released histamine into the surrounding tissues. An ultrasound isn't specific enough of an imaging modality to reliably differentiate a cyst from a mast cell tumor. When you speak to your Pug's vet this morning, please ask about the possibility of mast cell tumor, Kieran, and please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.