Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My bullmastiff has developed a lump at the bottom of s leg

Customer Question

Hi my bullmastiff has developed a lump at the bottom of his leg which is squashy to touch but is leaking watery blood any ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds like it could be an abscess. An abscess occur when a dog has a wound, often a puncture type wound and bacteria enters the wound and multiplies while the outer wound heals over. After the bacteria multiplies the abscess often ruptures and starts leaking. You can read more on this here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/abscess-in-dogs

If this is an abscess you could use warm compresses on the area and keep it disinfected with some hydrogen peroxide. I would recommend having it seen by your vet as he can clean it out better and facilitate healing quicker.

A lump or growth is hard to diagnose even with an office visit, over the internet it is even harder as we can not even see the growth. A lump may indicate cancer, but many such growths are harmless. Many lumps are not painful or bothersome. It may be a fatty tissue deposit called Lipomas or a wart or a hematoma, but to be positive your vet will need to test the lump to be sure.

Any lump found on your animal should be tested to determine if it is a cancerous or benign lump. Your vet will want to perform a fine-needle aspiration or other appropriate test. It is performed quickly and allows some of the cells of the lump to be evaluated by the veterinary pathologist. This test will allow the vet to determine the nature of the lump and take the necessary steps to remove it. Some vets will leave it alone if it is not serious. If it is an abscess, he may just drain it and prescribe antibiotics. Lumps that are solid feeling, feel attached and fast growing should be checked as soon as possible as these are the ones that are more likely to be serious.

Here are a few sites for additional information and pictures to allow you to get an idea based on the physical characteristics..

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=424

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.