Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a golden retriever who has had this pink sack hanging

Customer Question

Hello
I have a golden retriever who has had this pink sack hanging just behind her front leg almost arm pit, for some time, a few years, was told it was a skin tag, well about 10 days ago it started getting bigger, base ball size earlier today, about 30 min ago it started leaking a pink fluid, blood and sabeceous fluid maybe? I don't know, it's pink tho, and I don't know what to do! She's happy doesn't seem to be in pain, wanted to play just a bit ago! She keeps licking it, and she's 13
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Cell phone(###) ###-####home is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before.Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on your description, it does sound like the lump is either a cyst (draining cystic fluid) or has grown large enough that it is breeching the skin (thus causing serum to leak). In this situation, we do want to keep her from licking since she that will cause infection. You can place an e-collar or consider putting a small tshirt on her to keep it up and out of her reach. (The latter may be best to keep the leaking under control).

Otherwise, we'd want to have her to her vet once they are open (since this isn't an emergency) for assessment. They can aspirate a sample from the lump to see if we have a cyst or a solid growth. If it is a cyst, then it can be drained which will usually stop the leaking. Be aware though that cysts do refil and may need to be drained periodically or removed completely. Otherwise, if the vet can aspirate no fluid from this and thus confirms its a solid mass; then they can send that sample for testing to see what type of mass is present. Or you could just have this removed surgically to remove the problem (and the whole lump can be sent for analysis then). And while she is older, this mass being on a "stalk" does make it a good candidate for full resection and removal, which means a good prognosis for Maya overall.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for responding although a different vet was chatting when I started. I was disappointed with this site this time as it would not take my email address, said it wasn't recognized, I've had it for at least 15 years. I had to keep trying then reset my password, after that I finally was able to get back on going thru my google history.
I stayed up all night with Maya, a tee shirt will not work because of how low this cyst hanks, however, a sock did so what work, I just cut it at the top so it wasn't tight. But again thank you for responding. I do kinda feel like I was ripped off, sorry not against you, against the site.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would like to know how to get a refund! We already know that it is not a mass, because of her vet visits, it is in fact a cyst, that is leaking. I just wanted to know if there was a way to stop this leaking until my vet opened. I also requested a phone call, that never came. I would like my money back!