PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Our Pug is covered in ves, she wouldn't eat her supper and

Customer Question

Our Pug is covered in hives, she wouldn't eat her supper and we just noticed this. she is trying to scratch.
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Imogene, I'm so sorry to hear this happened to Olive. Can you answer a few questions for me?

1) Does Olive appear to be having any issues breathing? Does she sound like her normal self?

2) Can you give me more details on how large the "dropper" was?

3) I need to know the name and brand of the medication you gave, give me as much info as you can. A link to the product will be most helpful.

The additional info will help me to help you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Olive has been limping with her left hind leg off and on for a couple of weeks. When we pet her or talk to her she would
act like she was ok. But today, she really held her leg up when she walked. Yet, she ran outside and barked at her normal
things. There is no new food, same bedding in the house. However, there is a new Pug puppy on the scene. He came Sat.
nite and he is trying to make the adjustment. The dropper was 0.8 ml. the allergy meds. Kroger children's allergy.

Thank you for the additional info.

How much does Olive weigh?

What active ingredient do you see listed on the ingredient panel of the medication bottle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
probably 22-24 lbs. we haven't weighed her since she had little vulva surgery. It was recessed and had to do some
cosmetic surgery. She seems to be about the same weight.

Perfect.

And the active ingredient on the medication bottle?

Is she having any breathing issues? Sounds normal aside from the hives?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
active ingred. is diphenhydramine HCI in each teaspoon. I didn't give her just that 0.8 ml and there was still some left in the dropper.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't go to that response for some reason. It takes me to the Just Answer page.

Great. I'm glad you provided this information as what google provided me with stated the Kroger's brand of children's allergy syrup was an entirely different medicine. The dosage with benadryl appears to be 25mg per tsp (which is 5mls).

Benadryl, which is diphenhydramine, is the ideal medicine for treating hives. This means that Olive will need a total of 5mLs of the syrup to treat her hives. Because there's a wide range for dosing, I would recommend doing one of the following:

1) Give her a single caplet or tablet of 25mg adult benadryl

2) Give her an additional 25mg (5mLs) of the liquid syrup you have on hand.

The hives will take a while to go away completely but you should see a decrease within a few hours, tops. During this time, make sure to monitor her breathing and ensure that she's not having any additional issues.

Give me one more second and I'll address your concern with her limping.

Can you see the response above?

Her intermittent limping could be due to a lot of things, but the most common in pugs is a luxating patella or "slipping kneecap". The dogs are often not painful when this happens but may run for a while, then skip for a few steps, then put it down again. It wouldn't be uncommon to see the pets affected by this affliction to go about their normal daily business like barking and playing with another dog. For the most part, they don't even seem bothered by it.

The next time she's in to see your vet, let them know about the limping you're seeing and have them check her knee caps. She's rather young for other issues, but something else to consider would be tick borne diseases and growth abnormalities. Most of these things would have been picked up on regular physical exam though, so I suspect you're not in for bad news.

If my answer has helped you, please provide a positive rating. If questions remain, please reply. You'll still be able to reach out to me if you have questions after issuing a rating.