Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 8 week old pup's stomach is very slightly hard. I'm not

Customer Question

Hi, my 8 week old pup's stomach is very slightly hard. I'm not sure if it was like that when I got him not even a week ago, but it doesn't bother him nor does it effect his playfulness and attitude. Should I be worried, or is he full?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi jacustomer,

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

A pup's stomach will often appear a little bloated and hard especially after they eat. In addition, puppies this age frequently have parasites like worms which can also cause a bloated and hard abdomen. I'd suggest you at least get him dewormed. For additional information about worms, see this site

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html

http://www.truecompanionvet.com/site/view/124515_CanineIntestinalParasites.pml

Common dewormers are Panacur, which is a prescription product so you need to obtain it from your Vet and it works on roundworms and whipworms. Wormers labeled as Pyrantel Pamoate are the best over the counter medication for roundworms. Drontal plus is also a prescription product and is used for the treatment of Tapeworms, though dewormers with praziquantel work well against tapeworms. Many heartworm preventatives also help control whipworms and roundworms. Another reason to keep your dog on Heartworm medication.

He will need to be dewormed at least twice, preferably 2 weeks apart to kill all adult worms and then any hatching worms before they can reproduce.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?