Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog never eats grass. He was behind some shrubs, came out

Customer Question

My dog never eats grass. He was behind some shrubs, came out and has been eating grass for 15 minutes. 4yr long hair dachshund
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.

Hello Lynne,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Lynne,

I have worked out an answer for you ...

In my experience dogs often eat grass compulsively because they are feeling nauseous for some reason or other, but eating grass alone can in itself cause vomiting so you should try and stop him doing this by any means possible. Sometimes the nausea just passes on it's own if it is due to something the dog has eaten but in other cases this is the start of a developing bout of vomiting and / or diarrhoea. I will give you some general advice how to handle this should it occur. { Normally when the nausea passes this compulsive grass eating will pass as well }

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepto-Bismol to treat their dogs with gastro-enteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates : LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yogurt added to the food or given orally can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yogurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much A couple of teaspoons twice a day would be fine for an average sized miniature Dachshund.

Of course if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if Marlin deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you

No problem Lynne, very glad to have advised you. I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if Marlin's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Lynne ,

I am just checking back in to see how Marlin is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect nausea ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.