Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

, Thank you! My 10 year old Chihuahua, has been

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thank you! My 10 year old Chihuahua, has been swallowing quite a bit, and licking his feet, has been throwing up mucous and though I've given him Zantac and a herbal (Earth Animal) Cough, Wheeze and Sneeze.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure Question is: What else could I do, to ease his obvious discomfort.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ok
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 12 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.This licking behavior often means that your sweet little guy is feeling nauseous. The best thing to do for this is as follows:

Fast your guy for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. Zantac should help also. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If your guy is feeling better, wean him back to his regular diet. This behavior, especially livking his feet can be a sign of anxiety and I would recommend that you purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent to decrease stress and anxiety that could be causing his symptoms.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Dr. Loretta,Makes sense and sounds like a good plan. Thank you.Deanna Lockie

Good for you , Deanna...I hope your guy feels better soon!