Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog died

Customer Question

My dog died
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog.

It sounds like he probably did have prostate cancer. I'm not sure what bloodwork they did, but we don't have a blood test to test for prostate cancer in dogs like they have in people. We use ultrasound and a biopsy to diagnose prostate cancer. When we treat with anti-inflammatory meds, we can see improvement initially. This may last days, weeks or months. It usually doesn't last any more than ~ 8 months. That is what we shoot for with medical management alone. Many dogs don't last more than a couple weeks before the cancer spreads and leads to euthanasia.

It sounds like his cancer progressed rapidly. There was not much you could do to avoid that.

These prostate cancers are considered genetic in dogs. We don't know for certain, but there is likely some type of genetic predisposition.

I'm sorry again for your loss. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
what is euthanasia ?? So you think his med faded of which was only dampening the problem he got really well with no meds then two weeks just started to fade and be sick again ,I'm grieving and really needed this second opinion ,putting him down today was the hardest thing to do so thank you and for your quick response and understanding. Is twelve a reasonable age to go ?? He had so much life can't believe he gone

I'm sorry about that wait, I got called away for an emergency.

Euthanasia is helping a pet die with an injection to stop the heart, aka putting him to sleep or putting him down.

I think you did the right thing. I think the meds stopped working as the cancer spread. 12 is a long life for a dog. Anything over 10 is great.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Would this course extreme vomiting ?? Which was his main symptom .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
His first symptom where swollen testicles

Yes, prostate cancer can cause vomiting and testicular swelling. It could have also been a testicular torsion where a testicle twisted. Both can cause pain and vomiting.