Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

Puppy that is 2 months old. She has not been well days now,

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Marie. .puppy that is 2 months old. She has not been well for 10 days now, in that she has gotten very thin and not showing much growth (her liter mates are much larger than her now). She is less active. She still eats, though not enthusiastically and in small amounts. But her belly is very swollen and this doesn't get smaller even many hours after she has eaten. In the last day it has stayed very swollen. I gave her worm medicine on Monday. Last week she had trouble opening her eyes and they appeared to bother her. I gave her a treatment of amoxicillin and she perked up somewhat. I started her again on amoxicillin yesterday. While before her stool was loose, today she has real diarrhea, pure liquid. Also, a few days ago, I noticed some blood in her stool, but I haven't seen that today. She is urinating frequently. She has not vomited at all. I should also mention that this puppy has an umbilical hernia, but it does not appear to be strangulated. Is there anything I can do short of surgery as that is not a viable option for where I live. Veterinary care is very basic here. Thank you for any advice you can give.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

First, if the umbilical hernia can reduce easly and is not strangulating, it doesn't absolutely have to be operated on. Many dogs live normal lives with non-strangulating hernias. So, that is a minor issue given everything else you have reported.

Now I do have a few questions for you:

What wormer's active ingredient ?

Was her stool always loose before the antibiotic?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, my puppy died this morning. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear that he did.

Since we were not able to aid you, I will pass your question back to customer service.

Please take care,

Dr. B.