Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I just gave my dog a bath and noticed s little annus was

Customer Question

I just gave my dog a bath and noticed his little annus was swollen.... Once I look closer I realized he has what looks like a small hole right on the outside of the annus... He has been licking it today but no scooting or constipation. I applied a topical ointment I received from our vet for a different infection he had. What should I do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello Corry,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ive added a picture in hopes that it helps. He isn't acting like he is in pain or anything like that it just worries me.

Hello again Corry

Thanks for the photo, that's a great help. Hopefully this is something quite minor, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. The chances are that what you are dealing with here is an anal gland abscess, this quite a common problem in the dog and I would be very surprised if this does not turn out to be the case. However there are of course other possible diagnosis.

2. If this is the diagnosis { Anal gland abscess } then this is not a serious situation serious as it can be easily treated and very rarely has any long term consequences.

3. The best way to resolve an anal gland abscess would be by having your vet take a look, who will then if appropriate will prescribe a course of antibiotics and of course your vet will confirm the diagnosis. This would very rarely be an ER type of situation so you could safely wait for a regular hours consult when your vet is open next.

4. In the meantime, if your dog will let you until you can get to a vet you could poultice the area with warm salt water twice a day for at least five minutes a session and carry this on for a couple of days. Use warm water from the tap and saturate it with table salt, just use kitchen paper soaked in the salt solution and change it frequently so it holds the heat. Once you have done this gently dry the area and apply the Quadritop Ointment which is good because it contains the antibiotic Neomycin but the the likes of Neosporin would be good as well. { By the way I have known clients successfully resolve anal gland abscesses in this way without veterinary help }

5. Here is a link to an accurate article which will give you some in depth information on anal gland problems in dogs. LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Corry,

I am just checking back in to see how Party is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect anal gland abscess ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.