Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

Three year old shepherd ate ok yesterday morning but

Customer Question

three year old shepherd ate ok yesterday morning but wouldn't eat dinner or breakfast today. Went to food bowl an had 1-2 dry heaves but nothing came out.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 11 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It appears that Sweet Sophie has a minor digestive disturbance due to something she may have ingested or stress. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Sophie for 12-24 hrs which she is doing herself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If she is feeling better , wean her back to her regular diet. If she is still not feeling well and, especially if there are still dry heaves and she is becoming bloated, this is a serious life threatening condition called Gastric Volvulous and requires immediate emergency attention. This breed is prone to this condition so be sure she is treated if she has these symptoms.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****