Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

I have a 4 month old Dachsund that is up to date on her

Customer Question

Hello I have a 4 month old
Dachsund that is up to date on her shots and unfortunately I had to board her in a kennel this past Wednesday until Friday. She started havin diarreah on Saturday and it's a yellowish color. We have been feeding her a bland diet of chicken and rice and she's been acting her normal self. Just concerned over the diarreah
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear you are worried about Gypsy. My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help.

Can you tell me if she has had any vomiting?

Did you take her regular food to the kennel or was she fed kennel food while boarding?

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

I just wanted to let you know that I closed the second question you opened with your response so you would not be charged for 2 questions. Give me just a few moments to type up your answer and we will continue all communication on this thread

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

General digestive upset is fairly common when you have a sudden change in diet. This can include both vomiting and diarrhea. In the future you would always want to take her food rather then using kennel food.

It is possible that the diarrhea is nothing more then the food change. If this is the case using the bland diet for another day or two and then slowly getting her back on her food should resolve the problem. Pepto Bismol can help with this as well. This is dosed at 1/2 teaspoon per 10lbs every 12 hours.

That said yellow diarrhea can also indicate a protozoa infection such as coccidia or giardia. It is not uncommon for this to be picked up at boarding kennels.

Another concern is that pups can dehydrate rather quickly from diarrhea.

I would try the Pepcid and continue with the bland diet for another 24 hours. If you see no improvement or she has any additional vomiting then I would have her seen by your vet to have a stool sample tested for protozoa or parasites.

I hope this helps and she gets well soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to help. If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you this evening.

Candy

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Gypsy. How is everything going?
Candy