Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 12 year old black lab and as he is biting on s back

Customer Question

I have a 12 year old black lab and as he is biting on his back his penis comes full out and dripping
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Zeke. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is it blood, or urine that is dripping from his penis?

Is he eating and drinking normally?

Any vomiting at all?

This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no blood its urine , I work all day and not sure of the eating i know his food bowl is empty when I get home , No vomiting
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am worried about his looking skinny; weight loss can indicate many problems in older dogs such as liver or kidney disease, chronic pain, cancer, and heart disease. A good physical exam would be a good place to start.

If he is dripping urine, that can be from a bladder infecton. Pain in his bladder might cause him to bite at his back. Urine dripping can also be from prostate problems, so I would have his prostate checked (part of a complete physical exam).

Another possibility is back pain. If his back hurts, he might bite at it, and if the nerves to the bladder from the spine are affected, that could cause him to drip urine.

So the place to start is a good examination: listen to heart and lungs, palpate lymph nodes and internal organs and prostate, check reflexes, palpate all over for signs of muscle tension or pain.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have a lot of many for vet bills right
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

A physical exam should not be expensive, and would tell me so much about what might be going on. He may need antibiotics for an infection (and you can only get antibiotics from a veterinarian who has seen and examined him), pain medication (and the best pain medications are by prescription as well).

You could see if aspirin helps. Give it with food, and if he vomits, do not give it again. How much does he weigh so I can give you a safe dose?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sure how much he weights im thinking around 70 lbs
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

The only thing I can suggest you try at home is aspirin. It may or may not help and if he vomits, do not give it again. If he is 70 pounds, you can give him 3 baby or low dose aspirin with some food. Do not give Aleve (naproxen) or Advil (ibuprofen) as these can be toxic to dogs.

It sounds to me that he needs medical care, and having him examined by a veterinarian would be best. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How is Zeke doing? Can I help with anything else?