Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dogs front left leg from lower joint is swollen, I think

Customer Question

My dogs front left leg from lower joint is swollen, I think she fell in the garden. She doesn't limp, neither is she in pain. Just swelling. She eats alright and moves around normally.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has it been swollen?

Is it hot, sore when you press on it?

Is the swelling firm at all? Does it feel attached to the bone?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's been swollen for a week now, the swelling is very soft, she doesn't limp or seems to be in pain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a graze close to the area.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that she has no pain and there is no hard swelling here (since this breed does have the risk of bone tumors which can affect fluid drainage from the leg).

That said, if this has persisted for a week, I would be concerned that we may have a joint infection here. Any swelling from a fall should have settled or at least reduced by now. This is especially a concern as I see you just noted a graze near the area. This was likely the means bacteria have used to gain access to the tissue to cause this cellulitis.

In regards ***** ***** this, the best option is to get her local vet involved so that they can dispense antibiotics here. We usually find that with oral/systemic antibiotics we can clear these kinds of infections within 1-2 weeks. And the sooner we get her onto treatment, the sooner we can prevent this from spreading and get it settled for Zara.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate toask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )