Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

My puppy has wheezing shivering and letheragy and is finicky

Customer Question

My puppy has wheezing shivering and letheragy and is finicky eater. She is a Maltese, only 1.5. I gave her antibiotic for kennel cough last night and this morning. What else can I do to help her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have a couple questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...

Is she eating at all?

How old is she?

Has she been drinking?

Is she urinating/defecating normally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she is eating yes. She was born Sept 16. Drinking yes. Vet Friday, I couldn't go. Didn't hear wheezing then but got meds. First time last night had a little diarrhea probably from meds. Just not herself. Will take her back in tomorrow. Just want to help her. Sat in bathroom of steam. Tried to give her coconut oil. Wanted to know should I take her to hospital today or can I wait till tomorrow?
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

The medication that she's on can be causing the lethargy/and shivering. It can also be caused by just not feeling well.

As long as she's eating/drinking/urinating/defecating mostly normally, I think it's perfectly okay to monitor her and have her seen by her own vet tomorrow.

Of course, if she should take a turn for the worst between now and tomorrow, then you should have her seen by an emergency vet, but you're already doing everything I would have suggested...the warm bathroom and keeping an eye on her. I'd skip the coconut oil though...sometimes that kind of oil can cause diarrhea, and if she has more, we want to know it's from the medication, and not from the coconut oil.

I hope this helps.