PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

Could you advise a tablet early pace greyhound please

Customer Question

Could you advise a tablet for improving early pace for a greyhound please
Category: Dog
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for over 15 years. For 10 of those years, I have trained purebreds and rescue dogs in competitive racing and competitive strength events. I hope that I can help you with your dilemma.

Can you give me more information regarding the greyhound in question? Is this dog a female or male? How old? How long has s/he been racing? Can you describe to me your general method of training?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sami
She is an 18 month bitch and she is galloped 450 Metres twice a week but only once if racing

In your position, I would do some treadmill work with her. This will allow you to strengthen her lower end speeds and teach her to pace herself more effectively. It is different than regular training in that you don't just allow her to run as quickly as she can, as long as she can. You will work on teaching her to maintain stamina and effective pace at a slower speed and then work your way up from there. The treadmill will allow you to choose just how fast she's going and can allow you to give her a "trial" of an ideal run. Set the pace at 3.5mph, then move to 5mph and go up from there until she's reached her maximum speed and allow her to continue this for a duration that's safe for her experience level and her capability. You can also use shorter workouts, more often. We usually recommend 3-5 exercise sessions weekly when working a competitive athlete that is used to regular workouts. Decrease this number if she exerts herself hard for a long period of time or if a race is scheduled that week. I, personally, avoid hard workouts for 5 days prior to an event to allow muscles to heal after a hard workout. Remember, a workout doesn't have to fully exhaust an animal to be effective.

In this time, make sure to keep track of her racing times and, if you can, video her performance to see where she's having issues. Isolate that and work on improvement for whatever the problem happens to be. If you're unsure how to handle it, reach back out to me. I'm happy to help.

If my answer has assisted you, please take the time to positively rate my service. If question remain, click reply and I'll help you further. You will still be able to reach me once you've provided a rating.