Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a 12 yrs old Italian Greyhound he as been having

Customer Question

Hi I have a 12 yrs old Italian Greyhound he as been having nasal problems since July. This last time the vet did xray and ruled out everything from the Jaw down, heart and kidneys are fine, throat looked good. Toro was on Claritan and took him off when vet put him on prednisone and torbutrol. He doesn't have a cough. He is not getting better but worse. I think it's in his nasal cavities, the Claritin helped some, but now that I took him off is it safe to use with predisone?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 12 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a vet for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Toro's situation. As far as use of loratidine (Claritin) in a dog that currently is on prednisone, they can be both used at the same time. I'm those cases that warrant it, there are no major contraindications / adverse affects that indicate that they shouldn't be used at the same time like some other drugs. What I'd recommend here is letting your vet know what is goin on and let them make the decision what the next step is. Sometimes these situations can benefit from your vet seeing what you are seeing. You can video what is happening and let them see that.