Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My 12 year old German Shepard had a seizure last week and I

Customer Question

My 12 year old German Shepard had a seizure last week and I took him to my vet. They did blood work and his liver asl was 370. They gave him two medications and a special diet. il taking him next week to re-test his blood. What is your opinion? A thank you. Patti
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question. I'm not able to text, so correspondence will have to be on this thread.

Seizures in dogs can be due to many things. The most common cause in dogs 1-5 years old, is epilepsy. In dogs > 8 years of age, the most common cause is a brain tumor. After a dog has a seizure, the liver enzymes can be elevated. A value of 370 wouldn't worry me. That should go down on it's own.

If you want to know the exact cause of the seizure, an MRI or CT of the head is needed. That's the only way to diagnose a brain tumor definitively, as it is in people. The treatment options are limited due to expertise. There are options, though. You can have some tumors removed surgically. Radiation therapy is an option.

Here is a nice handout on seizure disorders in dogs:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=560

And one on meningiomas in dogs, the most common brain tumor:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=1995

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. That helped a lot!
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Badger. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He's doing good. Thank you so much for asking. His ALT is back to normal, but his pancreas is still a bit inflamed. My vet will do another blood test the first of the year and we are going to keep an eye on it. Thank you again.