Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My Boston terrier is sounding wheezy when breathing and more

Customer Question

My Boston terrier is sounding wheezy when breathing and more than usual today clearing his throat. Like there is phlem and it sounds like something will come up but it doesn't.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry that Jiggy is having an unusual breathing pattern this evening.

Is he having any vomiting or diarrhea? Is he still eating and drinking okay? Does he appear to have labored breathing when he is resting or sleeping? Have you seen any coughing or sneezing? Is he overweight?

Please let me know the answers to these questions so that I can help you and Jiggy this evening.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University,

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He weighs about 18 lbs. when he is resting you hear him breathe and it sounds crackly. I don't believe he has had any diarrhea. He has eaten and drank water same as usual. No cough or reverse sneeze. Just like he is trying to get phlem out of his thoat. He does have some allergies and takes half a benydril. He just has cleared his throat more today.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has also has mega esophagus with aspiration pneumonia. If that is the same this time do I need to take him to the vet tonight?
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Okay, that is a vital part of the history! I would be very worried based on that he could have aspiration pneumonia again. He also could have it more mild cousin, tracheitis (inflammation of the trachea) from a very mild aspiration that wasn't severe enough to cause full blown pneumonia.

I would consider taking him to the ER this evening. If that isn't an option, you may be okay to wait until morning to see your regular vet. If your regular vet isn't open tomorrow, I would just go straight to the ER.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

How is Jiggy this evening? Were you able to take him to the vet today? What was the diagnosis?

Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They took X-rays and his lungs were inflamed. They did spray our yard on Thursday or allergies. They gave him a steroid and a antibiotic.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is better today
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Great news! Thank you so much for the update and diagnosis. I am so glad to hear that it was not pneumonia!

Also, if you would please consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. A

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
Hi Lacy,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jiggy. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar