Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog keeps licking her Abel she has it a little raw

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I was never very good in anatomy. Is her "Abel" her anus? If so, the most common causes of such behavior are fecal soilage, atopy (allergic dermatitis), and anal gland impaction/infection. You can see how gently cleaning her anus with the over the counter antimicrobial Hebiclens (chlorhexidine) solution followed by the liberal application of over the counter hydrocortisone cream thrice daily affects Mia. It usually suffices unless her anal glands need to be expressed and possibly packed with an antibiotic/antiinflammatory ointment by her vet. In cases of atopy, a systemic corticosteroid such as prednisone or the new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib (Apoquel) might be necessary to stop her anus from itching to the point that she's excoriating it.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is chlohexidine solution

A commonly used antimicrobial solution in veterinary practices. It's also available over the counter in your local pharmacy. Hebiclens is a common brand name for this solution in pharmacies. It's not essential that it be used. Any mild shampoo will suffice to cleanse Mia's anus prior to applying the hydrocortisone cream. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Hi Kim,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mia. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She is a lot better thank u for your help
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

Good to hear! Thank you for taking the time to let me know. I can't set another follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I am going to take her to the vet

Sounds good. Keep me posted, please.