Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

After picking up my dog carin terrier from groomer instead

Customer Question

After picking up my dog carin terrier from groomer instead of walking she runs sits down every few seconds on her bottom she is over weight and takes steroid shots for allergies so she rarely runs and now she does just going to water bowl acts like something is on her or after her
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Has she had her steroids today?

Are you seeing any redness or razor burn around her rectal region?

Did the groomer express her anal glands?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
did anal glans and didn't notice burns but hair short around genital area
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She received a steroid shot about a month ago I haven't had to give her any prednisone since th shot
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you,

Now the 2 most common reasons for these signs after a groomer visit is anal gland inflammation from their being expressed and skin irritation secondary to the razor used to clip the fur. And both of these would be concerns here even if the skin looks fairly normal for Angie.

With this all in mind, we do have a few options. If you suspect her skin is irritation, you can gently wash the area with cool water, pat it dry, and apply an OTC hydrocortisone cream to reduce any irritation. Otherwise, if the skin doesn't look suspicious at all and since she has had those glands done today, you could consider giving her a low dose of her Prednisone as a one-off. This is an anti-inflammatory and can soothe discomfort if the glands have been irritated. Of course, she can only have this if we can get her to eat first (since steroids can upset an empty stomach). But if she is, then it'd be a means to seeing if we can soothe that poor irritated backside for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 12 months ago.
Hi Jackie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Angie. How is everything going?
nekovet