Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 8 month old catahoula puppy has bloody red bumps on her

Customer Question

my 8 month old catahoula puppy has bloody red bumps on her chin, it looks just like the images of cpv. We gave her 25 mg of Benadryl (wt 51.5 lbs) and used a warm compress, she's acting normal. Do you recommend trying aloe plant tomorrow or should we just keep it dry?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there!

Few questions for you:

1. How long has the been going on?
2. What do you mean by CPV?
3. No scratching or rubbing at the area?

Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Did you mean papilloma virus?

Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Your previous expert opted out of your question though I'm not sure why.

You may be seeing the start of on Canine Oral Papilloma. It is a viral wart. Dogs get them on their lips and chins normally but they can be found between the toes as well. It usually clears up on its own in a few weeks. You can read more about this here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_canine_viral_papillomas.html

Sometimes crushing the wart seems to help clear up the wart(s) quicker. Usually we just recommend leaving them alone as much as possible. Of course for bleeding you can disinfect with hydrogen peroxide but other than that, I would just monitor it. As for the benadryl, it should be dosed at 1mg per pound every 8 hours. Giving 25mg to a 51 pound dog won't achieve anything since it is well below an effective dosage.

I wouldn't put aloe on the papilloma at all. Many times sores on the chin are due to a condition called folliculitis (inflammation of the hair follicles). This is generally seen in dogs that are susceptible to staph infections, have mites, or are allergic to plastic or other feeding bowls that the chin comes into contact with. Your Vet will need to do a skin scrapping and examine it to determine if it is due to mites or a bacterial organism. Depending on the results your Vet will prescribe medication and/or recommend switching to stainless steel feeding bowls.

You can read about this here:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/acne.htm

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer so I am compensated for my time.