Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 3 Year Old Golden Ret. 78 Lbs in good heath

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 3 Year Old Golden Ret. 78 Lbs in good heath overall. His Name is***** on the bed or at least used to anytime he wanted sometimes 3-4 times a night to get down get water do his rounds through the house and coming back to bed. In the last 2 weeks we wake up and he is whining at the edge of the bed as if to say help me get in bed. We call him up on the bed and he just will not come. (To set this up to show what I mean our bed is normal height and there is a carpet covered wood box/step at the end of the bed for the smaller Dog, Hunter Used to use it sometimes too) I discovered yesterday that if I put his leash on him or even take a hold of his collar and lead him up the step he climbs right into bed and acts his normal self and then at some point he wakes us again whining to help him in bed best we can tell.... Tho only thing I have noticed different in him the last month is 2-3 small dime size cyst feeling hard spots on his side. He does not seem to mind when we touch them, he appears to see Ok and he is eating and playing with our Bichon fine. He does not appear to be in any pain.
Any Ideas?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I would first investigate such a dog's hips. His behavior suggests hip dysplasia which can be identified by X-raying his hips while he's sedated. Less commonly, his back might be hurting due to degenerative disk disease or the cauda equina syndrome - a narrowing of his most caudal (toward the tail) spinal canal. It's unlikely that those "hard spots"would manifest in Hunter's reluctance to exert pressure on his hips/back in order to elevate himself. Watch how he rises from a prone position; does his front end pop up before his hind end which then takes a bit more time to rise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
His front did rise first when getting up off the floor is that not normal?

Thank you. It suggests that he's favoring his hind end. It's another clue that his hips are bothering him. Another clue would be his reluctance to jump up into a car or truck. Please continue our conversation if you wish.