Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has red irritation on stomach. used benedryl and

Customer Question

my dog has red irritation on stomach. used benedryl and antibiotic cream. only thing that has worked is when i tried dermalone that a friend had. it was amazing, but need prescription.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. We're not allowed to prescribe through this venue because our veterinary state board of examiners doesn't consider our conversation to be a proper pet-vet-owner relationship. Dermalone contains nystatin (anti-yeast), neomycin and thiostrepton (antibiotics), and triamcinolone (an antiinflammatory steroid). It's sold by prescription only. I suspect that if Neosporin weren't helpful, you're treating either a yeast or a steroid-responsive allergic dermatitis. You can see how an over the counter combination of products works for Miller. An antifungal cream labeled for ringworm or foot fungus containing miconazole or clotrimazole can substitute for the nystatin and a hydrocortisone cream can substitute for the triamcinolone. I would alternate the two products every 8 hours.

Can you upload a photo of this red irritation to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Miller. How is everything going?