Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Has a black gum growth

Customer Question

Has a black gum growth
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. I was heading to bed when I noticed no one had answered your question. So let me give you some things to think about and if you have further questions, I can respond to those tomorrow morning if I've already retired.

Me

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The gums and tongue can develop pigmentation over time. However, raised black growths could be oral melanoma. I would have this checked by your vet as soon as possible . I don't want to worry you, but do want you to have information in case it is oral melanoma. You can read more here on it.

http://www.wearethecure.org/melanoma

http://clubs.akc.org/fcra/healthmanual/melanoma.html

Unfortunately you need to have him seen and evaluated. Your vet will be able to give you a definite diagnosis and advise on best treatment option. The sooner you address the issue, the better the chances of a favorable outcome.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.