Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I am feeding our golden doodle a diet mostly of fish as he

Customer Question

I am feeding our golden doodle a diet mostly of white fish as he seems to have a problem with chicken. I also give him a rice, potatoes, carrots, beans peas and an assortment of supplements and sunflower seed oil. He weighs about 85lb. I would like to know that I am feeding him the right amount of protein not too much not too little. He also has a little lean lamb and liver most days.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

The following site gives you the percentage of fat and protiein that you should be feeding dog depending on whether your dog is a working dog or not. He probably isn't but it is best to know for sure. If he isn't the protein should be about 15-30% of his diet. Remember that one day you might only have 15 and on another 30 percent but the average for the week should be around 21-25%. This site gives you other good information as well.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=459

They also make commercial "homemade" diets that are usually frozen foods that can be thawed and fed. Most dogs do eat these as they are not dry kibble and resemble homemade foods. They also are already formulated to be a balanced diet which makes it much easier on owners with picky dogs.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Forgot to check the rating box. Doing so now.