Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 13yr. Old lab mix is moaning at night when I watch t.v.

Customer Question

My 13yr. Old lab mix is moaning at night when I watch t.v. For the last 6 months what's wrong? I moved twice in the last 2yrs. And we spent most of his years in a house with a big back yard then things happened and we spent the last 2 years going from one apartment to the next. I can't figure out what's wrong with him...very worried
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Jazz. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Did the aspirin make any difference at all? Moaning at night can be a sign of pain. If aspirin did not help, you might try tramadol ( a prescription pain medication).

Did the Benadryl help to get him to sleep? You could also try melatonin, which is available over the counter. A Lab could take 6 to 9 mg at bedtime.

Has he had a good physical examination recently? It might be a good idea, if he has not had one, to check for signs of internal illness: have his heart listened to, his pulses checked, his lymph nodes and internal organs palpated, his eyes checked, etc. to see if his moaning is a sign of something internal. He is telling you something is wrong, so finding out what that is would begin with a good examination.

Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see what I wrote. How is Jazz doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 11 months ago.

How is Jazz doing?