Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

I have a Chuhuha/Pug mix that I rescued 2 years ago has

Customer Question

I have a Chuhuha/Pug mix that I rescued 2 years ago has changed. He is 4 years old. Always with me by my side & on my lap when I set down. About a month ago he started not wanting to be touched, talked to or petted at all. Sometimes i can just speak to him when he's on my lap & he will get down. Walk around the room then get back up on my lap. He still wants to be near me but I just can't touch him or talk to him.
What do you suggest? His Vet says he is physically fine.
Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. Thank you for your question about Boo. In a situation like this, what I'd try to do is to encourage more interactions / activity with him to increase his enjoyment of being around you. Try to do more physical activities with him like walks or play time where you can positively interact with him and have him stimulated. Being there with encouragement and positive energy while these activities are going on can help to increase his well being. A healthy physically active dog trickles down into being a healthy social dog. Being more active with him will help his overall health in a very positive manner too.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for you reply......however; we have lots of interactions/activity. We play & walk together every day. He does enjoy being around me.....ALL the time. It's just that "don't touch me" attitude that baffles me. He has never been abused & has had nothing but love since I got him. Don't know what kind of care he had before I got him.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

That is great that you're doing all those things with him to help him be a happy and active dog. There are many owners that don't take all the time and energy that you're doing with him to help them be stimulated. With a "don't touch me" attitude, I would make absolutely sure there are no ear issues going on that may cause some discomfort there. If there is any odor from the ears or hesitation of being around his ears, then maybe this was extremely mild when your vet evaluated him and has maybe progressed. Do you feel that he's playing and going on his walks normally?