Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My puppy died at the weekend, she was 7month old saluki

Customer Question

Hi my puppy died at the weekend, she was 7month old saluki puppy and was running when she appeared to stumble and keeled over motionless. She was still breathing and conscious but couldn't move anything apart from her head and eyes. We rushed her to the vet however she died on the at after around 10mins after suffering a seizure. It was terrible. The vet checked her over and no signs of any breaks or trauma and not a mark on her. What happened ?! :-( so sad and I miss her terribly xxb
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She also soiled herself ... She was quite a "talkative" puppy but barely made a whimper or a sound when I picked her up. We've been back to the field where it happened and it was very soft grass and dead leaves with no sign of anything she could have hit or tripped over. She was fit and well apart from a few allergy issues (minor skin irritation to paws and belly to unknown cause) . The only thing we did notice as that her short vision appeared not to the that great and would often use her nose to stuff out food and treats as if she couldn't see them. Thanks
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. First let me tell you that I am very sorry for your loss.

There are only a couple of reasons for sudden death in dogs. At this age a congenital heart issue is a very likely cause. Another possibility would be an embolism. Let me give you some sites on these conditions.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/pethealth/dog_disorders_and_diseases/heart_and_blood_vessel_disorders_of_dogs/congenital_and_inherited_disorders_of_the_cardiovascular_system_in_dogs.html

Heartworms can also lead to heart issues and possible death as well. Let me send this and I'll continue.

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-diseases-conditions-a-z/pulmonary-thromboembolism-pte-dogs-and-cats

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had been checked out a number of times at the vet and her heart always had a clean bill of health . When she collapsed her heart was still beating regularly and was actually the last thing to shut down bless her

Often a heart issue is undetected. Another possibility is asnake bite which might also lead to a quick death and with a dog’s coat, it might be hard to see the bite mark. Bloat can lead to a swift death but your vet would have seen some signs of a distended stomach and a dog doesn’t act in the manner you indicated.

Unfortunately without a necropsy (animal autopsy) it is impossible to know for sure what the cause was.

I've had 3 dogs pass suddently so I know how hard it is to handle. One was from a snake bite and it took going over her twice to find the bite mark. Another died of bloat and it was pretty evident as the stomach was distended. The last one was an older dog and her heart just stopped.

The only other thing might be poison. If it is possible your dog ingested something poisonous, that could cause collapse and seizures as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah will did consider snake bite however we live in the uk and the only snake I know of is an adder and they tend to be summer time ... Could have ingested something however she was my little shadow and probably would have noticed . She was also very fussy about eating and would tend to pick something up and spit it out !!
Just so sad. I was terrified that she had broken her neck however could this happen with no sign of trauma ? She was a very fast puppy and would sprint off and keeled over on the first sprint of the day so maybe was an embolism about to go. She was fully vaccinated and wormed (and heart wormed) fleas etc etc . The breeder was upset too. She has offered us her brother simon as he can't be shown in the ring as he has a problem with his genitals so needs to be pet homes but he is the image of seline . We will probably go and see him in time and see how we feel about it .
We did think of an autopsy however she was so perfect and couldn't face the thought of her little soul going through that . Many thanks for your help . Hayley
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you think she may have broken her neck or would she have had some kind of physical sign of trauma ? Thank you for your help

No. I do not think she broke her neck because the vet would likely see some sign of that.