Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My dog right ear was cut seriously bad by groomers and he

Customer Question

My dog right ear was cut seriously bad by groomers and he was on medication for this incident due to a possible infection. Can he qualify to be entered in a dog show with such an injury?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

Since what you're describing is clearly an injury, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to show your dog. This isn't a birth defect or a fault.

I would, however, explain to the judge when they go over him that he might still be a little tender/uncomfortable and to be gentle near the right ear.

I've shown dogs after ear hematoma surgery and the judge never asked me about it. If they had, I would have explained why the ear looked different from the other one and that would have been the end of it. I wouldn't have been excused from the ring.

I've also shown a dog whose mother bit her when she was just a few days old such that the ear has a notch in it. Clearly an injury and not a birth defect and I've never had any questions asked about it.

I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hi Willie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Pokher Ace Brooks. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb