Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog keeps moaning like she is hurting. She won't eat

Customer Question

My dog keeps moaning like she is hurting. She won't eat anything. I don't know what is wrong with her. She threw up 5 times this morning but hasn't again. Her breath also stinks like a bad tooth. Not sure if it's related. Acts kind of lethargic
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Princesd. I will wait for your response to know we are connected.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Are you still in need of assistance?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to just wait for a call
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay.

I am concerned about any exhibition of suspect pain. The clue to your question is all the vomiting. That is the source of the problem most likely. Although I would hope for only gastritis, the moaning and pain may suggest pancreatitis. Once the pancreas is upset, a pet will repeatedly vomit, and can exhibit very serious abdominal discomfort.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

Pancreatitis is often caused by eating something fatty, oily, or greasy. But, that doesn't always have to be cause. Any other dietary indiscretion can cause it and every pet is a bit different on what can really cause bad stomach distress (gastritis).

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day.So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day or 10ml every 8 hours. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 1 year ago.

The breath likely stinks because of the vomiting and degree of stomach upset, although some organ problems like kidney failure can cause bad breath as well.

At this point she is not vomiting because she is improving but because she is likely very weak and nothing left in the stomach.

Definitely, I really consider this more worth an ER visit, because it is not just stomach upset, but distinct symptoms of possible pancreatitis and pain. So, well worth an ER trip. Even if you give one of the above antacids, I would advise against a wait and see approach. Very sorry that she is feeling ill.

I hope that information is helpful.