Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a pit 9 months, he has ves, i've been giving m

Customer Question

I have a pit bull 9 months, he has hives, i've been giving him benedryl. Now i noticed his ears are hot and he keeps shaking his head and can't get comfortable.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had hives?

What dose are you giving? How often? How much does Koda weigh?

Any discharge, odor, or swelling in the ear canal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hives since yesterday morning. I was giving him 1 ml of benedryl liquid every 5 hrs. Koda weighs about 30 lbs. No discharge and i dont see swelling but he just vomited.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, if he is vomiting as well, we do need to tread with care. Benadryl can cause GI upset but if we have an allergen that he ate, then it could cause all the signs we are seeing. Therefore, with this extra sign, you may want to pre-treat his stomach with an antacid (ie Pepcid(More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)) before giving any more Benadryl.

Otherwise, if you are you using the liquid version (12.5mg/5ml), this would translate to too low a dose for Koda (2.5mg). For a 30lb dog, we tend to give 15-60mg every 8 hours. So, even though you are giving this too often, the dose is still too low to nip this in the bud. Therefore, we'd want to stretch to every 8 hours but at least give a 15 milligram dose (6ml of the liquid or it'd be easier to use a 2/3rds of 25mg tablet here).

Overall, he sounds to be caught in an allergic reaction that is not being addressed adequately. Therefore, we'd want to first settle his stomach and then use a proper dose of antihistamine. Otherwise, if he continues to vomit or doesn't settle, we'd want his local vet to use injectable anti-nausea medication and then give a short course of steroids to halt this allergic reaction for him.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. :)

All the best for Koda,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank u for responding so promptly. I did what u said and Koda is fine now. Thank u
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad to hear that we were able to get Koda settled. :)

Have a great day,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )