Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

What happens when a dog eats dyretic adult pills accedently

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help you with your question today. Just like an in person consult, I have some questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible....

Do you know how much she might have eaten?

How long ago did Rosie eat them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 pills
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any peroxide in the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She ate them abour4 hours a go . What do I need to with the peroxide
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

Because diuretics cause the body to excrete not only water but valuable nutrients and salt which can be fatal, the absolute best thing to do is to get Rosie to vomit up the pills.

This will only work if it's been less than an hour since she ate them.

The way to make that happen is pretty easy and instructions can be found here: http://www.petplace.com/dogs/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs/page1.aspx

If you're unable to get her to vomit, or if it's been longer than an hour, then she absolutely needs to be seen by a vet for IV fluids and activated charcoal.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Okay...I see now that it's been 4 hours since she ate the pills, so it's too late to use the peroxide.

She needs to be seen by a vet today. If you're not sure where an emergency vet is in your area, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. THey'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

It's important to remember that kidney damage from the diuretics can take several days to present, so getting her seen now, rather than later, is going to give her the best chance at a full recovery.

I hope this helps.

Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

Please do me a favor...even after you rate/accept my answer today...touch base with me and let me know how Rosie is doing.