Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog is hearing something in the house & goes crazy

Customer Question

Customer: my dog is hearing something in the house & goes crazy climbing all over me..I need to figure out where it is coming from
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it is not all the time, I thought it was the humidifier on the heating unit & shut that off but that is not it..I wish I could tell you more but if I could I would probably be able to identify it..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: That is OK..do I pay only if you can figure out what it is ?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that our dog has you worried. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 27 years. I would be happy to help but please understand I am not there to see exactly what is happening or to hear what the noise may be. What I can do is try to help you figure out what it may be.

How often is this happening?

Can you explain exactly what you are seeing just before during and after these episodes?

How long are the episodes lasting?

How old is he/she?

What breed?

Does she/he have any previous or existing medical conditions?

Is she/he on any medications?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he perks up his ears & then goes into panic mode..The time varies, one day it was 4 hours & he is climbing on me & clawing me..he is a 90lb black lab..the 1st day I thought he was sick so I had the vet check him out..full blood panel etc., nothing physically wrong.I put him outside during these episodes & he is OK..so it is something in the house..I have changed nothing, except activate the humidifier which I already indicated I have turned off but it does not seem to be the problem..when I am at work he claws the wall & the door trying to get out..this is new behavior..he is a rescue so I am not sure how old, but best guess is 11..I have had him for 8 yrs. I also have another lab that does not seem to be bothered by it but I know my older guy has way better hearing than the young one..I am looking for suggestions as to what it could be
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you apparently have no suggestions ?
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 12 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. Your previous expert opted out of your question. Let me try and help you. Do you live in a city or rural area?

Do you have a basement or crawl space?

How many floors does your place have?

How old is your house approximately?

I know about the humidifier, but what about your heating or air conditioning system. Is it running or off when this happens? Do you notice if it happens right before the system kicks on or not?